bodhi-client

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 04:49:52 UTC 2007

The bodhi-client package should be making its way to an updates-testing
repository near you! (and a newer version is already queued up for tomorrow).
Not only does this command-line tool give you easier access to bodhi, but also
provides some new features to help people get more involved with testing
updates and providing useful feedback.

I wrote up some documentation on various usage examples of the tool, which can
be found on the wiki[0].  I also submitted a Makefile.common patch[1] that,
once applied, will allow you to run `make update` from your package branch.
This will drop you into a new update template, and will then submit your update
straight to bodhi.

Some noteworthy features in the bodhi-client, aside from the normal bodhi
functionality:

  • Ability to view all updates-testing packages that you currently have
    installed on your local machine, that you *could* be testing and providing
    useful feedback for:
    ∘ bodhi --testable
  • Ability to view your update candidates (this is a fairly expensive
    operation -- please use sparingly):
    ∘ bodhi --candidates

I also upgraded our production bodhi instance today, which pulled in a ton of
bugfixes and some new features, such as:

  • Updates by default will now get submitted to into testing.  This can easily
    be modified when using the web form, the bodhi client, and `make update`.
  • Thanks to the new security bug tracking policy[2], we're now tracking CVEs
    using Bugzilla, thus bodhi no longer will ask you for CVE IDs.  The less
    information that the developer has to type, the better.  Read the policy
    for more details.  Bodhi is not yet 100% compliant to the proposed changes,
    as it does not know about parent/tracking bugs, but should be soon.
  • If you try and submit an update that is older than something already
    pending/testing, you will be prompted with a dialog that will give you the
    ability to instantly obsolete those updates.

As always, patches/questions/criticisms/comments are welcome. You can file
tickets in the usual place[3].

Happy hacking,

luke

[0]: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/wiki/CLI