setup filesystem requires and minimal system

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 14 15:49:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:40:29AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 16:37 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > More fundamentaly it is not clear to me whether some packages
> > that are special, for example the kernel, glibc, util-linux, rpm... itself
> > are necessary or not. I don't have personnally a need for such a
> > minimal fedora based install, but I ask because other may like to have
> > it.
>
> So, yes. You need a linux kernel to boot. You need something which
> provides libc. If you want it to be Fedora, it needs to have rpm.
> util-linux (or its equivalent functionality) is necessary if you want
> expected UNIX functionality (like kill, mount, etc).

Maybe I should have asked first that basic question, but is it
meaningful to have a fedora install that is not meant to be booted, but
maybe in a chroot? If it is to be booted, I have a fairly good idea on
what could be needed among the regular packages (sysvinit as init, bash
as a shell, initiscripts as an init system and so on and so forth) and I
guess that the Core comps group is about that. Now something that get
booted but uses 'absurd replacements' is another issue, but it is not an
issue that bothers me today (it may on another day, though ;-).

--
Pat