setup filesystem requires and minimal system

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Nov 14 22:56:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:29:26AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> Not necessarily that I endorse that sort of crackrock, but I understand
> what you're shooting for.

Since I didn't got that many answers here, I just did some tests and it
works quite well the way it is in fact. Using glibc for basesystem is a
good idea because bash will bring it in and almost everything brings
bash (or /bin/sh) in. So only some particular packages (noarch, no
interpreter) can be installed without filesystem (I also found some very
strange lack of dependency on libc!!!). This leads to a rather long list
on my computer nevertheless, with, for example

man-pages-2.67-1.fc9
mailcap-2.1.25-1.fc8
busybox
ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9
rootfiles-8.1-1.1.1
words-3.0-12.fc7
termcap
control-center-filesystem-2.20.1-6.fc9
emacs-el-22.1-8.fc9

and many doc packages.

So point is that the lack of dependency on the filesystem package cannot
really be overcome.

--
Pat