Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 23:27:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:41:37 +0100
Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:

> No the crux of my complaint is there is no way to get packages past
> the freeze (not the last hard one, but the earlier one) without
> having to go the human ( = slow, cumbersome) interaction path.
>
> I understand you don't want builds in the just branched F-x to go
> into the release automatically at this point, for people who may not
> be fully aware of the freeze, but whats wrong with a:
> "make build-and-put-it-in-the-collection-despite-the-freeze" make
> target, so that if a maintainer believes this is imporant and save
> enough to go into the release (and he clearly knows about the freeze
> otherwise he would be just doing "make build") can do so without
> having to jump through hoops?

Such a target could open up $EDITOR and allow you to drop some lines
about why you think it's worth putting it in.

But here's something you don't seem to have considered.  You're
supposed to have already tested the build before you request it.  This
means you've seen the build complete, you've installed it somewhere,
you've made sure that what you're trying to fix is actually fixed, and
you've made some assurances that no regressions were introduced.  Kind
of hard to do all of that before you build the package.

--
Jesse Keating