F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 16:23:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 17:01 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> Bug #134886 is still there since fedora core 3 times.  It means that
> NetworkManager will happily shutdown the interfaces, ignore any
> settings you've put in anaconda and wipe out /etc/resolv.conf if you
> happen not to use dhcp.  Like in a lab, where desktops and servers
> tend not to wander around so much and dhcp is used only for laptops.

Just disable NetworkManager in your kickstart file.

> - you can't just chkconfig NM out.  It looks like it's started by
>   gnome itself, or maybe hal, so one has to study their "my wheel is
>   better than your wheel" startup configuration.  Or maybe not.  Dunno
>   really.

Yes you can. My machine isn't running NetworkManager, and has a network.
And it's definitely installed.

> - if you try to yum remove it, you lose evolution,
>   krb5-auth-dialog, libpurple, nautilus-sendto and pidgin.

nautilus-sendto certainly doesn't require it. Probably
evolution-data-server requiring it.

> - once you rpm -e --nodeps it, you find out that the "network" service
>   is not on by default either (liveCD install)
>
> I find the idea of having to do a pair of rpm -e in kickstart kinda
> demented.  Is there a saner answer?

A live CD install on servers? You're walking all over your use cases :)