F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Nov 15 19:07:13 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Did anyone establish whether or not you can do an NFS install by
> pointing at a directory containing the dvd iso image like you used
> to be able to do with the set of cd images?

Yes, this works.  I did it as recently as yesterday.

> I thought I saw a message saying that no longer worked, which sounds
> pretty sysadmin-hostile too.

Don't believe everything you read. :)

> What's the right way to download one copy somewhere and install
> several machines from that image?

That's a trick question.  There's more than one right way to do this.
You can use kickstart, you can use pxeboot, you could look at cobbler,
and varying combinations of these, plus others I'm not thinking of at
the moment.

I believe in the noble, aristocratic art of doing absolutely nothing.
And someday, I hope to be in a position where I can do even less.