F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 11:46:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 18:37 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > A CD and a network is all that's needed to install servers, without the
> > need to setup a staging network with tftp boot. I'm pretty sure that's
> > all explained in the Installation Guide.
>
> No.  If there is more than one server to be installed, and you want
> to download any piece only once, then you need some storage
> and a way to access it during each install.

Eg. the machine on which you downloaded and installed the LiveCD files
in the first place? Or one of the already installed servers, or even a
removable hard drive.

You don't need a DVD drive to do an install, and using a Desktop LiveCD
to do server installs and then blaming it being inappropriate for
servers shows a lack of realism and/or imagination.