Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Nov 16 13:30:03 UTC 2007

Le Ven 16 novembre 2007 13:11, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> On 15.11.2007 18:44, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 15.11.2007 09:44, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 23:18 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Similar problem (also not earth-shaking and a corner-case as well),
>> also
>> still unfixed:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/2007-August/msg00092.html
>
> Spot, thx for fixing this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets?action=diff&rev2=14&rev1=13

If guideline changes are being done this way I wonder why I created a
Fonts SIG, spent days writing fonts packaging guidelines, and
submitted them to FPC (that was supposed to review them for this week
session). It seems following procedures is a lot of work just to be
sidelined by the first person that does not want to bother with them
and posts on fedora-devel.

For the record:
1. I disagreed with this change when it was first posted on fedora-devel.
2. I still disagree with this change
3. I actually maintain font packages (just in case some people still
think that's relevant to comment on associated guidelines)
4. The associated scriplet barfed once in years of use by many
packages (and not even on a stable release but during a rawhide
update!), because of actual packaging bugs in one package. I don't
think one transaction error in years is such a huge price to pay to
keep our packages sane
5. If someone had bothered reading the guidelines submitted to FPC
he'd have seen they only refresh fc-cache on the font directory owned
by a particular package and that only if fontconfig is installed. So a
problem package will only screw itself now.
6. when this error happens you'll better fail the transaction and
reinstall the package. Silently accepting the transaction means you
get fontconfig users complaining the font package that apparently
installed successfully does not work in their fontconfig app (just
lost ~ 1 hour debugging such a case yesterday).

--
Nicolas Mailhot