Static DHCP

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Fri Nov 16 15:01:33 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007, Alexander Boström wrote:
> It's usually a good idea to have a central registry of which computer
> has which IP addresses, with MAC address info. Once you have that it's
> easy to also generate a dhcpd.conf from that info to assign static IP:s.

  And heck, dnsmasq is even easier to set up for that.  You can just
populate /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers (as per their specifications), and
dnsmasq will use that for static DHCP assignments.  I.e.:

/etc/hosts
192.168.1.5	blue
192.168.1.6	green
192.168.1.7	red
192.168.1.8	brown

/etc/ethers
00:11:22:00:00:aa	blue
00:11:22:00:00:bb	green
00:11:22:00:00:cc	red
00:11:22:00:00:dd	brown

  Make sure "read-ethers" is uncommented in dnsmasq.conf, and you're set.
(Okay, there are a couple other configuration changes required before
dnsmasq will DTRT, but that's true of ISC's dhcpd, too.)
  I even have a script that takes a file with the format:

mac	ip	hostname

  and spits out the appropriate /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers. :-)

  FWIW, I manage ~20 networks with static DHCP, many of which have machines
roaming to and fro.

      Jima

(fedora dnsmasq maintainer and advocate)