are you (fedora devels) using fluendo codecs?

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 19:13:25 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 09:39 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
<snip>
> Seriously, how optimized does the mp3 codec need to be? I used to play
> mp3s on a Windows 3.1 box with 128 MB of memory. RPM Fusion is full of
> players using gcc, and I've yet to run into a place where I needed to
> optimize beyond -O2 with gcc.

99% of those players use the same backend library (libmad), and even
though they're compiled with low optimisations, most of libmad has
MMX/SSE/Altivec/etc. optimisations. That's optimisations.

And we're certainly not talking only about MP3. Try playing back an HD
Windows Media Video stream with a C-only decoder...