Pulseaudio problems

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 10:35:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am trying to adapt myself to pulseaudio (F8 x86_64).

I had to change /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
so I can use another X screen (:1) without being root, and  without using
pulse.
Otherwise, I hear no sound using mplayer (this is how I send a movie to an
ordinary TV).

After testing several applications, this is what I got so far
trying to use pulseaudio with plugins (not using alsa generic plugin):

MythTV: NO sound at all (therefore, pulse can not be a global default for
me)
mplayer (patched): OK
mplayerplug-in: OK
rhythmbox: OK
amarok: OK
xmms: OK
audacious 1.4: OK with ESD (stutters a lot with its own pulse plugin).
mpd 0.13: NO sound (it has the plugin, though).
ampache (flash player): OK
xine: NO. Sound disappears after a few seconds.
vlc: NO plugin available.

Also, after an interval of time of maybe 10 to 20 min I hear a fast hiccup
using amarock. I mean, the sound vanishes (but it is very fast), and it will
happen
again 10 min later, and so on...

I also noticed that using

arecord -D hw:0.0 -d 0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r48000 | aplay -D pulse &

for capturing from line in.

I have two sound cards:

[cascavel:~/SRPMS/vlc]   more /proc/asound/cards

 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0x92300000 irq 22
 1 [VirMIDI        ]: VirMIDI - VirMIDI
                      Virtual MIDI Card 1
 2 [Bt878          ]: Bt87x - Brooktree Bt878
                      Brooktree Bt878 at 0x92000000, irq 18
 3 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738-MC6 - C-Media CMI8738
                      C-Media CMI8738 (model 55) at 0x1000, irq 21

The good part, is that I can switch between sound cards very easily and
switch users and resume what I was playing before in gnome.

Sorry if I am writing to the wrong list, but I think this kind of
information
can be useful for the developers.

Thank you.

--