Pulseaudio problems

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Nov 20 00:17:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 17.11.07 08:35, Paulo Cavalcanti (promac at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to adapt myself to pulseaudio (F8 x86_64).
>
> I had to change /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms
> so I can use another X screen (:1) without being root, and  without using
> pulse.

Hmm? I don't really understand what you edited in that file and what
you achieved with this?

BTW: It is a feature, not a bug that PA pauses playback when you
switch to a different session.

> Otherwise, I hear no sound using mplayer (this is how I send a movie to an
> ordinary TV).
>
> After testing several applications, this is what I got so far
> trying to use pulseaudio with plugins (not using alsa generic plugin):
>
> MythTV: NO sound at all (therefore, pulse can not be a global default for
> me)

Yes, MythTV is borken. Not only on PA. It assumes that mmap() is
available on all devices. Which is a bogus assumption. The PA plugin
for ALSA cannot do mmap. And many others cannot do this either
(i.e. the surround modes of EMU10K sound cards).

I think they now commited a fix for this to their VCS, but I am not
sure about the latest status of this, since I don't use this software
myself.

If you like to experiment you can use the ALSA mmap_emul plugin on top
of the pulse plugin. This emulates mmap on top of a non-mmap-capable
plugin for ALSA. YMMV.

> audacious 1.4: OK with ESD (stutters a lot with its own pulse
> plugin).

Have you filed a bug to the audacious people on that? My PA plugin for
XMMS works fine. Apparently they broke it when they took it and ported
it to Audacious.

> vlc: NO plugin available.

I'd assume that this one works fine with our plugin for ALSA.

> Also, after an interval of time of maybe 10 to 20 min I hear a fast hiccup
> using amarock. I mean, the sound vanishes (but it is very fast), and it will
> happen
> again 10 min later, and so on...

Yes, I will have another look on the whole Xine situation.

> I also noticed that using
>
> arecord -D hw:0.0 -d 0 -f S16_LE -c2 -r48000 | aplay -D pulse &
>
> for capturing from line in.

Hmm? what did you notice?

> Sorry if I am writing to the wrong list, but I think this kind of
> information can be useful for the developers.

Actually it is quite useful. Thanks a lot.

Lennart