NetworkManager - Why Doesn't nm-applet have a way of using WPA-PSK?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 06:53:19 UTC 2007

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 01:08 -0500, Kelly Miller wrote:
>> I can't seem to set WPA-PSK in nm-applet like I can in knetworkmanager.
>> And believe me, I looked.  Hard.
>>
>> For a while, I thought NetworkManager couldn't do WPA-PSK at all, but I
>> found it easily in knetworkmanager.  And since the current setup (Fedora
>> 8) doesn't have it yet, I'd consider this a big big problem...
>>

> I have no problems connecting to a AP with running WPA-PSK using F8.  It
> automatically detected the encryption and asked for a passphrase (which
> it then automagically stored in gnome-keyring).
>
> Jonathan

Was your access point configured to only allow this option?  Sounds like the OP
is wanting to FORCE the use of WPA-PSK (i.e. access point will allow it), not
just have NM make the choice automatically.  The access point may be setup to
allow several security options.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu