semi-automatic firefox rebuilds (was Re: Review queue/FESCo after the merge)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Nov 20 07:56:20 UTC 2007

On 19.11.2007 19:02, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:52:12 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
>
>> /me removes the newlines and created a quick loop in bash
>> Here is your "script":
>> ---
>> for package in blam chmsee devhelp epiphany epiphany-extensions
>> firefox galeon gnome-python2-extras gnome-web-photo gtkmozembedmm
>> kazehakase liferea Miro openvrml ruby-gnome2 yelp; do
>> 	pushd ${package}
>> 	bumpspecfile.py *.spec
>> 	make tag build
>> 	popd
>> done
> So this is great and all, but it's FF specific, where we're moving to
> xulrunner anyway.  Time is better spent getting these things to support
> xul.

F8 will still be around for about 12 months, which IMHO is more then
enough a reason to warrant one or two of work. Especially as it safes
the maintainers of the packages some work, so in the end less work for
everybody.

BTW, does xulrunner properly and for real solve the problem? The current
rawhide package just as firefox has a path with a version number in it
(/usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9a9pre/) so I fear that there sill will be
packages taht depend on a particular xulrunner version. Or is there some
abstraction somewhere to make sure packages don't depend on a particular
version of xulrunner?

> Not that this script isn't handy at all.  In fact, I think we (as
> Fedora) need to appoint somebody or some "body" (like a SIG) to oversee
> the entire gecko stack both now and in the future to ensure that
> updates are coordinated.

Maybe, yes, but I tend a bit to the "who broke something should at least
do minimal efforts to get it fixed". IOW: the one that rebuilds firefox
should ask rel-eng to put it into the buildroot and call the script once
it really exists.

>  Just building is only one part of the puzzle,
> they all have to get pushed out at the same time and into the same
> repos.

With the new bodhi command line interface this shouldn't be to hard afaics.

> I don't have the time or energy to own this problem space.

I'd be willing to create the script properly and modify the packages if
I can do it directly in CVS (after a public review of course) if FESCO
backs the effort.

> [...]

CU
knurd