File conflicts, how do they work at that point?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Nov 21 08:37:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> Transaction Check Error:
>  file /usr/bin/smcs from install of mono-core-1.2.5.1-3.fc8 conflicts with file from package mono-core-1.2.5.1-3.fc8
>
> Now that's a beautiful error message :-) Probably one is x86_64 and
> the other i386.

Yeah, an ancient bug... just been fixed in F8 to show the arch too for all
problems.

> What are the rules for file conflicts now?  I thought they didn't
> exist anymore since multilib makes them more than annoying, and you
> couldn't even install both glibcs, but it looks like they can still
> appear somehow...

The rules haven't changed since the introduction of multilib (rpm 4.0 days
or so): on multilib systems conflicts on files of same color are swallowed
when the conflicting packages are installed in the same transaction, but
when installed in separate transactions conflicts are raised.

Yes it's confusing and inconsistent behavior which I *really* want to get
rid of. It's just that this is not a simple matter of "fixing rpm" - our
package set is full of conflicting files. The package set needs fixing,
otherwise you'll have a very much uninstallable x86_64 (and to slightly
lesser effect ppc) tree.

 	- Panu -