WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 11:44:24 UTC 2007

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:35 -0500, James Hubbard wrote:
>
> What this says to me is that we need to make it a more seamless
> experience for if you don't find something in the main menu, to get it
> installed.  We have the "Add/Remove Software" link but unfortunately
> it's based on packages which aren't the same thing as applications.
> There is work going on around this which might land in the Fedora 9
> timeframe.

I've thought for a while that it might be interesting to have a sort of
'shadow' menu which would be a complete list of everything which could
be installed to show up in the application menu.  This could then be
used to link to the software installer so that the user would simply
select the application they want to use from the shadow menu and it
would then be installed and would appear in the real menu.

Building the shadow menu should be possible by looking for .desktop
files (or whatever it is which defines menu entries) in rpm packages.

Simon.