libglade2 Problem: Can't Find Symbols

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Nov 23 03:15:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 16:45 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 13:35 -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This isn't strictly speaking a fedora-devel subject, but I'm hoping a
> > fellow packager or Fedora programming gurus can help.

> You are probably missing -Wl,--export-dynamic when compiling your app.

In that case, I've a bit of a problem here and I'm not sure what the
right solution is (or which module to file a bug report against if it is
a bug).

Apparently, the pkg-config file for libglade2 (libglade-2.0.pc) doesn't
include compiler-to-linker options to export symbols
(-Wl,--export-dynamic). In fact, most applications which rely on
libglade2 have been using other means of getting those symbols in. (in
F7, it was through gmodule-2.0.pc (which got pulled in because the app
uses libgnomeui-2.0.pc -> libgnome-2.0.pc -> libbonobo-2.0.pc).
Unfortunately in F8, libgnomeui-2.0.pc eventually ends up pulling
gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc, which, as the name implies, doesn't do symbol
exporting.

Either other app developers are adding additional libraries that they
know needs to be added for libglade2 ... or everyone's just been plain
lucky so far.

As much as it feels to me like libglade-2.0.pc should have the export
options (since apps using libglade2 almost always need it), I'm no
expert and would defer to the community who's done more Gnome2
programming than I.

Thoughts?
--

Richi Plana