joe

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sat Nov 24 21:10:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-11-24 at 13:02 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 07:08:17PM -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> > It's not on the DVD image. I usually need a text editor before I can
> > even connect to the network (edit yum .repo). At least I could find the
>
> It's worthwhile to learn enough vi to suit this purpose. (It's actually an
> excellent config-file editor.) That's pretty much guaranteed to *always* be
> there.

Please, let's not let this thread become a text-editor thread. I'm sure
vi is an excellent editor, but I don't want to get distracted from the
process of getting joe onto the DVD.

Since you mentioned vi, I would say that I learned how to use it back in
the 90's and fall back onto it when other text editors like joe, pico,
emacs and nano aren't available. I just prefer the key combinations for
cursor control, block operations, file operations, window operations,
etc. of joe. Obviously cursor operations is what I do most often. That's
why I even set eclipse to use Emacs keybindings. Fortunately, bash
already uses similar combinations.
--

Richi Plana