Firefox sets wrong encoding to directory listings?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Sat Nov 24 23:02:02 UTC 2007

On 11/24/2007 09:54 PM, Martin Sourada wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not sure if this is the right list, but I set up a http server for some
> local network (so it is not accessible from outside) and would like to
> have all the content in UTF-8 (I also use some non ISO-8859-1 characters
> in file names), so I set up a HEADER.xhtml that is prepended to
> directory listings (and the same file is included at the beginning of
> the other pages) with this encoding settings:

> charset=UTF-8"/>
>
> So, I would suppose that browser detects the character encoding right
> and selects UTF-8. However, while this is true for ordinal pages, for
> directory listings it always selects ISO-8859-1. I also went through the
> apache configuration files and tried both using AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
> and not using it with the same result.
>
> As you might noticed, I thought at first that this is a server issue,
> but I just tried it in ELinks and it works as expected. So, where the
> problem lies? I have problems with it when using epiphany or firefox.
> Should I file a bug against firefox?

The server supplied headers will always win.  My guess is that Apache is
sending Content-Type: text/html.  Which means your meta tags (why are
you sending two of them!?!) will have no effect.  And since the document
is text/html and being processed as such, your <?xml?> declaration also
has no effect.