Packaging Starplot and related data files

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 06:50:34 UTC 2007

> The data files in the format which we may distribute
> are not modified in essence. starplot comes with a conversion program to change
> them to its own format, I guess this is done once by a seperate conversion
> program and not on the fly when loading for performance reasons, so the
> converted files could be seen as cache files.

You are right, Hans. To avoid distributing the *.star files, because
they are modifications of the original catalog data files, StarPlot
generates them during installation using:

$ starpkg . --dest /usr/share/starplot

starpkg is basically a wrapper shell script invoking starconvert.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
GPG key ID: 63D4A5A7