Firefox sets wrong encoding to directory listings?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at seznam.cz
Mon Nov 26 09:56:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 09:47 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:09:00 +0100 (CET), Martin Sourada wrote:
>
> > Looks like both vsftpd and httpd (Apache) are not very UTF-8
> > friendly :-(
>
> httpd and vsftpd do not care about UTF-8 when displaying files,
> they just read the filename from the disk and push it to the
> client. It's up to the client to interpret the data.
> HTTP has the ability to send a charset with the data, while FTP
> has not.

Didn't know that. Then I wonder, why clients defaults to ISO-8859-1,
while most of the today's filesystems use UTF-8...

> Using "HEAD <yoururl>" you can easily inspect the header information
> sent by your HTTP server and look if it sets the charset information
> correnctly. HEAD is part of the perl-libwww-perl package.

Thanks. The result is not what I'd like.

HEAD 127.0.0.1
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:52:12 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Server: Apache/2.2.6 (Fedora)
Client-Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:52:12 GMT
Client-Peer: 127.0.0.1:80
Client-Response-Num: 1

HEAD 127.0.0.1/ftp/pub
200 OK
Connection: close
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:52:04 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.6 (Fedora)
Client-Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 09:52:04 GMT
Client-Peer: 127.0.0.1:80
Client-Response-Num: 1

In root there is index.xhtml which is normally displayed by default,
in /ftp/pub there is no html file, only folders, so normally it is
displayed as folder listing.

Thanks,
Martin