Bug #372011 (or: how we could help with anaconda beta tests)

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Mon Nov 26 12:12:00 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:
>> One thing that's clear is that anaconda QA missed some key spots, and
>> also that we (users) didn't help much on the process, allowing the bugs
>> to remain hidden until the version was officially released, which led to
>> a lot of stress among users and developers.
>>

> The problem is that most users don't have time and resources to test
> twice a year a new release. 6 months for development+beta testing+RC
> testing is just too little.

It seems that someone in a marketing department assumed that people will
be frightened by 6 month cycle and will *buy* more stable distribution
kit (RHEL) instead. The people were actually frightened. What they are
using now? Yep, CentOS and friends. Free of charge. And free of
necessity to test new release *at all*  </sarcasm>

Fortunately, recently the policy was changed -- now EOL for a N release
is 1 month after (N+2) time. Thus you can test a new release just 1 time
per year.

Just my 2 cent.

Dmitry Butskoy
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy