Disabling readahead

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 15:17:33 UTC 2007

Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have readahead currently running on my test rig (x86_64, rawhide), but it's
> currently giving me all sorts of problems, so much so that the box is pretty
> unusable (random hangs abound and hugely varied times to getting the desktop
> to boot - I've tried to file BZ reports, but the machine dies before I can).
>
> I've read that readahead is currently broken in rawhide. Normally, my machine
> boots directly to runlevel 5. Can I alter on the kernel boot line for it jump
> to level 3? I can then disable the readahead service.

I'd honestly be surprised if the readahead scripts are the culprit - how
did you identify readahead as the problem?  The "brokenness" is really
mostly about inefficiency, as far as I know.

...but anyway, just boot into single-user mode (append "single" to the
boot commandline) or use interactive mode as others have suggested, to
chkconfig it off.

-Eric