Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Michał Bentkowski mr.ecik at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:50:46 UTC 2007

Hi!
Recently, a funny thing happened on Polish Fedora forum. Some users
were talking about Miro but rest of them weren't able even to install
that... After some time it turned out that they tried to type "yum
install miro" instead of "yum install Miro".
So my question is the same as in the topic: should "yum install" be
case sensitive?
I haven't checked but I'm quite sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that
there are no packages in repo whose names differ in letter size.
What's more: "yum list" command is case insensitive and there's
nothing wrong with it, is there? I know that you can say that these
users I wrote about in the beginning should have used "yum list" first
and then they would have found out why things went wrong but it makes
a need to type more and more commands.
"yum install" gives a summary what packages are going to be installed
so if a user wanted to run "Foo", but not "foo" she/he could break the
installation.
Besides, pressing SHIFT key could be painful ;-)
So my proposal is to make "yum install" (and probably "yum update" as
well) case insensitive.
Just think about it :)

Regards.

--