Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 03:52:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:39 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 4:52 PM, James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  As seth already pointed out, the main innocuous commands are already
> > case insensitive. So search, list etc.
>
> You missed by point... is anyone working on extending the search
> capabilities so that a user could choose to issue case sensitive
> searches among other more extensive search logic like and/or logic for
> multiple search terms and things of that nature.

 Ahh, I see what you mean, for some reason I read your query as asking
for case insensitive search.

 The 3.2.8 version will come with case sensitive highlighting of search
terms[1], and yum already searches for multiple terms if you give them
(as does yum list).
 But, no, noone is thinking about extending the yum search command
atm. ... although the yum python module has a well defined API for
search.

[1] Although this is mainly an implementation detail that re.escape()
and re.sub() don't allow case insensitive operation, I can't see that
being fixed ... and so could be regarded as a feature :).

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat