mounting removable media never seems to work

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Nov 27 18:38:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 10:02 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Mounting USB sticks, DVDs, CDs, etc - this works flawlessly with other
> distributions I've tried (Ubuntu), but with Fedora it's something that
> seems to stop working randomly, whenever the packages update to jour
> changes something in the system.
>
> I've a F7 system, fully updated, and now when I insert a USB stick, I
> get the HAL error "permission denied: not in active session".

This typically happens if the user thinks he's smarter than the
developers and does things like disable the ConsoleKit service. Closed
at least 10 bugs on that account just for F8. Annoying. Also happens, if
the user is running SELinux in enforcing mode and some labels got
screwed up. Check AVC messages etc.

Btw, your post it off-topic; please don't abuse fedora-devel list for
these things:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PostIsOffTopic

Thanks,
David