alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 21:24:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 09:36:17AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Adam Tkac wrote:
>>> These two are quite valid reasons that you as maintainer are the person
>>> best qualified to make a decision about.  Thank you for providing them!

>>> This one, however, is not a reason to use in making these decisions.
>>> People may want to use the newest Fedora on their important servers and
>>> if so, we want them to be able to.  This is something we should strive
>>> for consciously even if subconsciously we decide to let another feature
>>> slip in ;-)
>>
>> Generally you have to choose between stability and features. And I've
>> chosen features in this case...
>>
> Excellent.  As stated before, you, the maintainer are best qualified to
> judge how stable this release is and whether the perception of it being an
> "alpha release" or the new features it brings are more important. Your
> testing of the new version and not getting any significant bug reports
> before F8 release are valid reasons to believe the package is stable enough
> for Fedora.
>
> I just want to stress that we're working hard to keep people from thinking
> of Fedora as "a beta release of RHEL".  As part of that "I don't think that
> users use newest Fedora on important servers" is *not* a reason we want to
> promote for making decisions on whether a particular upstream version is
> stable enough to go into a Fedora release.

Definitely. I've never said Fedora is testing ground for RHEL. I want
point that Fedora has new features and new features mean bugs so you
cannot expect such stability like RHEL. And I also believe all
maintainers put new releases into Fedora because they have good reasons
(not only because "release exists" :) )

Adam

> Thank you for understanding the subtle distinction here,
> -Toshio
>
> --

Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.