alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 23:07:39 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 1:41 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - All desktop related applications can probably be less tight.. I
> don't see a problem there for alpha's, beta's or rc's.. as long as the
> applications itself don't crash and just work.

I think a concept of how capable the maintainer is to address bugs as
downstream patches needs to be factored in as well.  And how early in
the process in the testing process the pre-release versions showed up
into the testing tree.

We've had dbus in fedora for a few releases now.. well before its api
was nailed down and considered stable.. haven't we?  It's not a
critical server service.. nor is it a desktop application itself..but
it does critically affect the desktop experience since multiple
desktop components rely on dbus.

In the future it might be beneficial to raise a big stink about
pre-release stuff which is being considered in the release as we march
through the testing process.  If a maintainer feels comfortable
releasing an alpha component or application then we need to make sure
that we have a reasonable way for testers to see it coming down the
pipe and have an opportunity to beat the snot out of that component as
part of Fedora testing.  I don't think its unreasonable to give
testers a heads up about pre-release stuff so they can prioritize how
they spend time testing before a Fedora release.

-jef