alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Martin Stransky stransky at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 11:05:12 UTC 2007

Adam Tkac wrote:
> As I wrote above I disagree with you that put alpha (which will come
> to beta really soon) to F8 is bad decision "because it is alpha". I
> tested it and I didn't find any issues. That's why I decided put 9.5
> to F8.
>
> Adam

Is a former bind maintainer I have to support Adam here. In my opinion
it depends what package is taken and it's really a big difference
between a huge project (like gnome/gcc) and relative small one like bind.

Bind alpha/beta versions are periodically more stable than other
**stable** projects.

Anyway, do you know what rules have upstreams of all our packages? What
is a stable version in one can be an alpha for others. We can hardly
make strict general rules if reliable and balanced measure is missing.

Martin