alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 11:29:56 UTC 2007

On 11/29/2007 12:07 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Maintainers should strongly avoid releasing "alpha" or "beta" builds of
> packages into Fedora (both Rawhide and especially into released
> distributions). If you think you need to do so, please, test thoroughly
> and write in the changelog the reasons why you did so (if possible with
> the timeline stable release could be expected).

Except this is much more restrictive.  I'm not trying to tell people
what to do.  I'm more trying to answer the question:  "I'm not sure if I
should bump package foo to x.y.z or not.  How do I decide?"  And you
left out the IMHO important part that it is the maintainer's best
judgement call in the end.  NOT a mandate.