FutureFeature - Split KDE packages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 1 00:50:15 UTC 2007

axel @ieee.org <axelinux <at> hotmail.com> writes:
> Maybe a few days before the official release of Fedora 8 isn't the right time
> to discuss this matter but I'll give it a try.

Obviously new features won't make it into F8, they might be considered for F9
though.

> I know that Fedora is a Gnome based distribution but I prefer using KDE
> instead.

That's why there's a KDE SIG (Special Interest Group). :-)

> I think it would be a good idea to split those big packges into
> smaller/seperate ones. This way users will be able to install only the
> utilities they want.

This has come up in our KDE SIG IRC meetings already, and I'm afraid the
consensus was that it is not desirable, it would be a PITA to maintain. What we
did is split the less used apps of some components into -extras subpackages
which are not installed on the live CD.

> One more thing is that KDE menus have the same programs in more than one
> categories. Not a very good way to organize your pc. There are a lot of
> entries that show up in the Administration, System, and Settings menus.

Those are bugs in the respective programs (their menu entries have too many
categories), we have filed bugs for all those we know about. If you notice a
duplicate, please first check RH Bugzilla to see if it has already been filed,
if not file a bug there.

        Kevin Kofler