file system mount

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 1 15:29:37 UTC 2007

Amitakhya Phukan <aphukan <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> i have a system with fedora 7 and rhel 5 installed. recently, i changed
> the f7 to rawhide. now whenever i boot up, it mounts all the file
> systems related to rhel5 along with it and displays on the desktop.
> dmesg says /dev/sda1 mounted on /media/_1 and so on. I want to disable
> this feature. i don't know if this is anything useful ?? i even don't
> know if its a feature or a bug... can any one please help me out with
> this thing ? i understand hal is doing this (??), but why ? and even
> when i unmount it, the same can still be found in /media. right clicking
> on those partitions give me the option of mounting/unmounting them. but
> i don't want to let them appear in my rawhide systems totally. anyone
> else has this experience on rawhide??how do i disable it ??

Fedora 7 has a file called
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi
to prevent this from happening, here's its contents:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
  <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
    <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
      <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
    </match>
  </match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

If that file is no longer there in Fedora 8, try adding it and see if that
helps.

        Kevin Kofler