knetworkmanager, nm-0.7

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:25:39 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:26:21 +0000 (UTC)
> Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

>> The way NetworkManager 0.7 has been handled in F8 makes me very
>> distrustful of such "one backend, multiple frontend" solutions.
>
> The timeline of NetworkManager was /clearly/ communicated in multiple
> FESCo meetings.

Fact is, it was a last-minute thing, squeezed in late.  We all know it.  A
mostly worthwhile thing, which is why FESCo was ok with it.  And, btw, I
agree with that decision ultimately.(1)

But... please don't try to argue that this was something that the KDE SIG
could have reasonably expected or planned for.   Even if we had, I don't
think upstream knetworkmanager could have sync'd to such a moving target
that is nm-0.7 atm.

-- Rex

(1) Of course, 'twould have been *much* better to have introduced nm-0.7
much earlier in the release cycle, I think we can all agree to that.