file system mount

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Nov 2 02:56:50 UTC 2007

> Amitakhya Phukan <aphukan <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
> > i have a system with fedora 7 and rhel 5 installed. recently, i changed
> > the f7 to rawhide. now whenever i boot up, it mounts all the file
> > systems related to rhel5 along with it and displays on the desktop.
> > dmesg says /dev/sda1 mounted on /media/_1 and so on. I want to disable
> > this feature. i don't know if this is anything useful ?? i even don't
> > know if its a feature or a bug... can any one please help me out with
> > this thing ? i understand hal is doing this (??), but why ? and even
> > when i unmount it, the same can still be found in /media. right clicking
> > on those partitions give me the option of mounting/unmounting them. but
> > i don't want to let them appear in my rawhide systems totally. anyone
> > else has this experience on rawhide??how do i disable it ??
>
> Fedora 7 has a file called
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/99-redhat-storage-policy-fixed-drives.fdi
> to prevent this from happening, here's its contents:
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->
>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
> <device>
>   <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
>     <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="false">
>       <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
>     </match>
>   </match>
> </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> If that file is no longer there in Fedora 8, try adding it and see if that
> helps.

Kevin,

I've had a collection of mounts on my HD that I hadn't seen show up in
f7, but were showing in rawhide in the disk mounter applet.

The mounts included:

'/' (I'm using '/1' for this install),

'/var' (which should be '/var/www' anyway, and was already mounted
as /var/www in my filesystem),

'/mnt/vmware' (which was mounted and already a part of my filesystem),
and

'/boot' (this install of rawhide has '/boot' as part of '/1')

and aren't the sort of thing I would have thought should have been
showing up as available.

The addition of this file above has removed them from appearing in the
disk mounter applet.  Should it be included in f8 by default?  From
where I sit, it makes things as I would expect them to be.

R.

 It's much better on my side"