KDE logout options with F8

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Nov 2 10:09:58 UTC 2007

Le vendredi 02 novembre 2007 à 10:34 +0100, Frank Schmitt a écrit :

> Yeah, we understood. KDE users are second class citizens in Fedora. Bye.

No you've not understood. Fedora is not merely in the business of
distributing upstream (GNOME or KDE) projects. It's also doing
development. When one Fedora group develops or is deeply involved in a
new feature (new gcc, fixing the distro for UTF-8, selinux, pulseaudio
etc) every other group in the distro is supposed to follow suit and use
the new feature on the announced target. Because Fedora wants to create
new innovative features and that'll only happen if there is distro-wide
solidarity with the Fedora groups that do create those features.

The KDE SIG does not get any special dispensation because one feature
has been mostly developed by GNOME people and they can't stomack
anything starting with G.

And that's not a KDE users vs GNOME users thing, that's a KDE developers
vs GNOME developers thing, and all our users are Fedora users foremost.
You do not "own" users exclusively, just because they use your apps does
not mean your agenda is the users agenda (and I've written this to Java
developers, OpenOffice.org developers, etc before, so don't go oppressed
KDE user on me now)

You're part of the $distro you follow the $distro agenda. You want a say
in the $distro agenda you develop innovative stuff @$distro that will
make $distro shine.

And there is the sad (for you) fact that Red Hat is involved in Fedora,
and Red Hat pays GNOME people, so you have paid GNOME people in Fedora
doing work that orients Fedora GNOME-way. If you want to balance things
out the path is not hampering the Red Hat-paid GNOME Fedora people but
get one way or another more KDE developers involved in Fedora.

--
Nicolas Mailhot