Zimbra packages in Fedora

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Nov 3 23:10:48 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 04:58:11PM -0600, Jonathan Steffan wrote:

> They don't provide srpms. Even their rpms need to be installed with
> their install script. The rpms themselves assume very strange things
> that would never be accepted into fedora in their current state.. and
> this is just from watching the massive errors when installing without
> their installer script (and with selinux enforcing.. now that was a
> mess.. had to rebuild the server). I started to audit a policy for
> Zimbra and it made me green in the face.

[...]

> I really wish they would release an "addon" package set that could be
> integrated with existing distro maintained packages, but I highly doubt
> this will ever happen. This being after I've studied their install
> system and have had Zimbra in testing for a while.
>
> Please don't get me wrong... +1 to Zimbra for putting together a cool
> system, but don't expect to have a multipurpose machine after letting
> zimbra have it's way with your bits. A derivative distro would be more
> useful then what they have now :-/

This all is even worse than what I already from what I read and tried
(but I didn't go as far as you did).

I'm afraid is not in their interest if distros are capable of including
Zimbra.  They use Open Source mainly as a marketing tool, for the rest
the Open Source world can't do a lot with it :-(.

B.t.w., Red Hat eXchange (commercial and expensive add-ons for RHEL)
includes Zimbra.  Wondering if installing those RPMs (I assume they
provide RPMs) screw up your RHEL system too.

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>