Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 5 01:02:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:32:40AM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2007-10-31, 18:49 GMT, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > I have suggested at least 2 technical solutions, none of which
> > needs any changes to Anaconda:
>
> part of one environment) besides Gnome, KDE, and XFCE. Are there
> any friends of WindowMaker around here (that would be nice for
> higher degree of compatibility with Mac OS X)? Or IceWM?

I am a small desktop user. For the display managers, there are wdm,
xdm and slim (but they lack integration with consolekit). For the
desktop (in fact window managers), fvwm, fluxbox, icewm, WindowMaker
pekwm and other I forgot about. Among the file managers, there is
gentoo (although it should be better inegrated with xdg-open use),
and rox-filer could be packaged (I have a spec). I wanted
to package ivman for automounting, but it turned out to have too
much issues. I have developped halevt to replace ivman, but so far
nobody has packaged it (I don't want to maintain it in fedora since
I am upstream). There are many dockaps packaged, but more wouldn't
hurt. For openoffice, I haven't seen obvious replacements (I tried
to package Ted, but it is a nightmare). To replace firefox, there
is dillo, but it lacks functionalities, more promising is links-hacked
(I have a spec) or maybe links2. Last xpdf/gv are much lighter than
evince.

So there are many pieces in place, but still some lacking parts or
missing features. In any case, I don't think that a comps group would be
useful for 3 reasons:
* there is a lot of diversity,
* this sets of packages are more geared toward power users,
* minimal usable set is very small (a display manager, a window manager)

> On xdm theme -- if anybody is interested in this; well,
> xorg-x11-xdm src.rpm is 400k -- it shouldn't be unfathomable for
> interested geek to fix it and maintain it (and I would be glad to
> meet you, because xdm bugs in bugzilla are always for me, desktop
> team bugmaster, kind of nightmare).
>
> What do you think?

I could look at the packaging part (in some future, though), but not at
the code.

--
Pat