Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 5 10:02:16 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:44:05AM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:26:36 +0100, Patrice Dumas scripst:
> > Because I think that being upstream and the primary maintainer of a
> > package in fedora (or any distro) is not a very good idea. If there are
> > conflict of interest between upstream and the distro (think about name
> > space, install paths, quality), I think that having a maintainer who is
> > not the primary upstream maintainer is a good thing. Having upstream
> > co-maintain, or even do the packaging work is a good idea, but I think
> > that upstream should not have the last saying for the package.
>
> Well, I would be bothered with stuff like this for some huge packages
> (OOo), but I don't think (with all due respect to your utility) one
> reasonable guy should IMHO be able to keep two hats on his head. And you
> wouldn't be the first one (by far).

I have seen a lot of reviews where this issue shows up, upstream being
willing to put an app in fedora, but not for fedora, in order to gain a
wider audience. Those conflicts were easily seen. I don't want to be in
that situation. If my app is good enough somebody else will package it
(and I will gladly review it).

--
Pat