Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 5 12:49:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:01:13PM +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2007-11-05, 09:59 GMT, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>
> Well, it's confusing (at least for me) to distinguish between
> WindowMaker and GNUStep -- at least in Debian (which I used
> before coming to RedHat) WM tend to develop a list of wm-*
> packages almost as long as g* and k* packages. I am not sure

Ok, I don't know about that. Maybe a relevant comps group could be
something like gnustep desktop.

> > I don't think that dust will settle. The desktop is a moving
> > target, with kde/gnome/xfce ruling freedesktop and having
> > resources put by vendors in these efforts (redhat is a good
> > example of a company pushing the desktop innovations which also
> > means breaking existing apps).
>
> Well, then probably point is to keep the list packages in DE just
> as long as you and people who will be on it with you will be able
> to maintain.  Moreover, it seems to me that (under the influence
> of server guys, I think) many core changes in Fedora (thinking
> pulseaudio, policykit, packagekit, and hopefully now even
> NetworkManager) will be much more open to non-{Gnome,KDE}
> environments.

I hope that too, but currently this is not the trend I am seeing. That
is the server/light DE will catch up, but then there will be a newer
breaking.

> > I used xfce in the past (fedora 3, maybe 4?) but then it became
> > to take time to launch, and then I switched to fluxbox.
>
> Jus to make sure, that I understand -- you claim, that XFCE is
> not as lightweight as it used to be, or in other words, that
> their effort to build lightweight equivalent of Gnome failed?

It is much lighter than gnome, but heavier than fluxbox.

> > Nothing more is necessary for lightweight DE. Of course there are lots
> > of apps that can be optional but are suited for lightweight DE
> > (dockapps, gmrun, xdvi, xfig, conky, gv and many others...).
>
> I don't know -- would you allow some email client, for example (I
> heard a lot of good things about Sylpheed in this respect) or do
> you expect most of the apps to be console ones running in
> xterm/rxvt/whatever?

sylpheed seems to have a good record, but I personally use mutt.

Maybe what could be more interesting than a comps group which doesn't
seems to fit very well in my opinion, because of the diversity and
optionality, a spin with the most used light apps could be done. I dream
of that since a lot of time, but I don't think it is worth it as long as
the integration isn't good enough. Moreover I am not persuaded that it
would be useful, even though it should be fun.

--
Pat