Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Mon Nov 5 15:10:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 09:21:35AM -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:

> I would say something here about senseless duplication of effort, but
> it's not likely to convince anybody.

I guess that I am bised, but it seems to me that, at least, fvwm,
fluxbox and icewm are not duplicate, and don't duplicate xfce/gnome/kde
either. And dockapps based desktop don't duplicate big desktop either.
I don't know WindowMaker, though.

> Please, just pretend xdm doesn't exist.

I personally am interested in having xdm maintained, since wdm is based
on it. To be honest, I have asked the wdm maintainer to rebase on latest
xdm, but he still hasn't done it. But in any case wdm suits my needs
much better than gdm (at least starts infinitely faster). I agree that
xdm itself is a bit too minimalistic, especially since there is no
simple way to change the session if I recall well.

--
Pat