Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 15:53:41 UTC 2007

On 2007-11-05, 14:21 GMT, Adam Jackson wrote:
> The major problem with this is there's almost nothing in the
> distro that requires the X server itself at the rpm level.

OK, sorry that's remnants of my Debianist thinking -- I used to
install from minimal install of Debian to almost fully loaded
system just by

aptitude install lyx kontact

being quite certain that most of the stuff needed will be there.

No, that's not criticism of Red Hat, just forgot that fully
defined dependencies are not present everywhere.

> The base-x group in comps is actually pretty minimal on its
> own.  I'd be happy with trimming it down to the bare minimum,
> marking it non-visible, and having the various desktop groups
> depend on it (in comps, not in their packaging).

Sure, that would be perfect for me.

> I would say something here about senseless duplication of
> effort, but it's not likely to convince anybody.

Read my question „Why do you not use XFCE“ later in the thread.

> Please, just pretend xdm doesn't exist.

I would sometimes wanted to hear the explanation (remember I was
talking about fixing and maintaining xdm), but for the purposes
of this discussion you can quite happily

s!xdm!simple display manager w/o Gnome and KDE libs!

I just wasn't sure there are alternatives to [xgk]dm.

> I wish we had a way to mark packages as actively deprecated.  I don't
> want to orphan xdm, I want that no one work on it ever again.

Yes, please, I am always lost with xdm bugs ... :-)

Matěj