Severe X breakage heads up

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 15:24:34 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:29 -0500, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

> One non trivial change for Fedora would be moving the kbd
> config away from xorg.conf.  Both Gnome and KDE can already
> override the server settings through XKB.  The various
> display managers, I'm afraid, don't do anything by default.
> Same with startx.

This will change soon for gdm, I think. The gdm rewrite will make it
possible to have a keyboard layout selector on the login screen, very
similar to what you have inside the session. At least that is one of the
goals.

> Also, I'm not sure if this is a good right time to do it, but
> we may benefit from switching to evdev for mice and keyboards,
> if only to put let that horrible /dev/input/mice and its
> emulated PS/2 protocol rest in peace :-)

Switching to evdev is also planned for F9, and will probably be part of
the "big breakage".