Dropping Base X group? [Was: Re: KDE logout options with F8]

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Nov 6 20:56:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 07:10:53PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas <pertusus <at> free.fr> writes:
> > I am a small desktop user. For the display managers, there are wdm,
> > xdm and slim (but they lack integration with consolekit). For the
>
> I think my KDM ConsoleKit patch should be fairly easy to adapt to any
> XDM-derived display manager, as KDM is also derived from XDM. The only caveat
> is that it includes GPL code derived from GDM, so it will make your display
> manager GPLed, and you can't use it if its license isn't GPL-compatible.
> (Luckily, the X11 license used in XDM is GPL-compatible.)

Why don't you use libck-connector.so or even simplier pam_ck_connector?

> I think you should really maintain it in Fedora. Being upstream, you're the one
> who knows it best, and you also actively use the package. Moreover, you're

I am ready to comaintain the package, and as I already said, even do all
the work of packaging. But a maintainer in fedora should be there to
have the final word.

> already an experienced Fedora packager, so your case is different from the one
> of upstream developers only wanting to get their software into Fedora which you
> identify as a possible cause of conflicts of interest (but which IMHO isn't
> necessarily bad either).

Conflict of interest may arise after the import.

> KOffice maybe? Yes, it requires the kdelibs, but it's not anywhere near as
> bloated as OO.o is.
>
> If you can live without a full office suite, AbiWord and Gnumeric are also good
> options.

Indeed, it is much less heavy than OO.

> By the way, this isn't that wacky a question, people from KDE and GNOME have
> analyzed memory requirements for different setups, and the lightweight WM setup
> ended up requiring more memory once they started different apps, because they
> all used different libraries or no libraries at all, whereas the full desktop
> environments have most of their code shared across applications.

I could have a look, but I doubt a lot that in my use case it is true.

It would mean that
some xterms, some with vi + xpdf + firefox + mutt + fluxbox
consumes more memory than
some gterm + gedit + evince + firefox + evolution (or maybe something
  lighter I don't know) + gnome

I can check, but I doubt so much. Do you want that I check, and in that
case do you have an explanation on how to measure the footprints?

--
Pat