Severe X breakage heads up

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 00:14:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 14:32 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 11/6/07, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > This will change soon for gdm, I think. The gdm rewrite will make it
> > possible to have a keyboard layout selector on the login screen, very
> > similar to what you have inside the session. At least that is one of the
> > goals.
>
> Would it be possible for gdm to know what each user prefers as a
> keyboard layout?
> Like if I use the face browser and select a user foo with the mouse.
> Can gdm know user foo's default keyboard layout and use it for the
> password entry?

You mean the value that you set inside your session ? Unlikely, unless
you want gdm to poke around in the gconf database in your home
directory. I guess it would be possible to make gdm remember the value
you set on the login screen per-user and set it up for you if you use
the face browser. That is not going to help for the user name entry,
though...