Removal of pam_console questions

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 21:42:42 UTC 2007

Linus Walleij (triad at df.lth.se) said:
>> They 'both create a node'... is this a manually created device node,
>> not through udev?
>
> It's created by udev, in order for pam_console to have something to hold on
> to, since it's a link to /dev/usb/00x/0yy/... (unpredictable, opaque device
> node).
>
> This is then used by USB like the usermode scanner driver in sane-backends.
> (Same method there I think.)

So, the best place to look is:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/10-camera-libgphoto2.fdi
 or
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/10-camera-libgphoto2.fdi

Here, you'd write/generate stanzas that match on the proper IDs, and
append some sort of capability string that defines the device. (Possibly
piggybacking on the portable_audio_player definitions, although I don't
know how standardized they are.

Then, look at:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-acl-management.fdi

Here you'd write/generate stanzas that:

- match against that added capability of the device in HAL
- appends access_control to the capabilities
- merges in the access_control.file and type that show the proper device
  node, and the 'type' of the device

The HAL list probably has more examples of this to crib from.

Bill