When will be CVS replaced by modern version control system?
mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 19:21:47 UTC 2007
Adam Tkac wrote:
> Hi all,
> CVS has already passed over best years. I'm wonder why modern
> project like Fedora still has sources in this ancient system. Are here
> any plans to replace it by git, mercurial, svn or other more modern
> version control system?
We've tried this in the past a couple of times. The problem is we need
someone that has these qualities:
1) A vision from developer to build system on how this is supposed to work.
2) Time to write up and convince others its the right way to go.
3) Time to proof of concept it and implement it
4) Time to work with the infrastructure team on a migration plan
5) A little bit of craziness.
I hate CVS like the next guy, but it turns out converting to something
else is a very large commitment.
More information about the fedora-devel-list