yum bug? resolving depencies loop (was: Re: Update form F7 to F8 freeze at 26%)

utz lehmann u.lehmann at de.tecosim.com
Fri Nov 9 11:26:31 UTC 2007

Hello

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 20:45 +0100, Frank Büttner wrote:
> I have try to update an F7 installation to F8, but at dependency check
> it freeze all ways at 26%.
> It happens in the text and gui mode.
> anaconda use 100% CPU and 97% of all memory.
>
> Idear how get out, what goes wrong?

I think it's a yum bug.

I had this this too. Upgrading a f7 x86_64 system with the DVD.

Then i tried to make the upgrade with yum.
Installed the f8 fedora-release rpm manually.
Started yum update _with only_ the DVD as repository:
yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo=f8-dvd update

After a some time it loops while resolving depencies with no progress.
I guess the same happens while upgrading with the DVD.

I have captures of the looping yum if anyone is interested.

With all repositories (fedora everything + others) a "yum update"
doesn't loop. But i it gave others errors (decencies, conflicts).

I'm doing the f7->f8 now in small steps with yum update (all repos
enabled) and resolve the errors manually. So i don't have the original
rpm database anymore.

utz