When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Sun Nov 11 14:07:12 UTC 2007

Hi Les,

On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 11:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

> And in particular, they don't describe how that workflow ensures that
> the central build system knows that all distributed operations are
> synchronized and what happens if they aren't.

that's actually easy. The now central and only repository would in fact
become one of many repositories, with one notable difference -- koji
would get its files from that repository. What is now "commit to central
repository, tag, build" would become "commit to local repository, tag,
push local changes to build repository, build". The synchronizing
between repositories is done by the DVCS tool or tools. Mind that DVCS
don't rely on every repository having the same content (that would be
rather pointless).

This way, projects where Fedora is upstream *cough*RHEL*cough* can have
their own build repositories, pull changes from the Fedora build
repository, and we could eventually pull back changes from theirs if
they are worthwhile. Another benefit which would avoid unnecessary
manual work.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759