Codec Buddy misleading.

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 09:56:32 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:35:32 -0500, Paul Wouters scripst:
>> For europe I think it is. It doesn't help for the Red Hat case because
>> as a US company Red Hat is obliged to obey US law.
>
> Red Hat is also a German company. Those people could release a German
> version that includes it. Say in a German-only repository on german
> servers (and mirrors outside of red hat's control).

Don't go there -- you are trying to do an analysis of the venue for
litigation in the international context. That's one of the most
complicated things you can do in the international private law. I have
two law degrees, one from U.S. university dealing explicitly with the
international law, and still I wouldn't be very sure what the result of
such analysis is. However, it is highly probable in my opinion (and I
have been out of the legal practice for couple of years, so don't take
this as a lawyer advice) that your suggested transaction structure would
have no effect on the ability of American plaintiffs to sue Red Hat in
USA.

Translated into plain English -- bad idea.

Best,

Matěj