probs with nvidia sata

ne... guhvies at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:38:15 UTC 2007

On 12/11/2007, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
> Could this be primary partition problem, as in exceeding number of
> primary partitions MBR can handle ( 4 ) per disk?
Not in my case.

> Does any one know of any limitation regarding this (
> Anaconda/grub/driver(s) )
>
> We are talking about
>
> Disk 1 FC3,FC4,FC5,FC6 MBR Full
>
> Disk 2 FC7,FC8, OpenSUSE 10.1, CentOS 5 MBR Full
>
> How are you partitioning the disks?
Standard four primary partitions with one of the four as extended. I
do not need to add another logical partition. I intend replacing my
FC4 install with FC8.

> What types of disk do you have
All are Western Digital SATA.

> Which disk is it failing on, the 200GB or the 80GB ones
It is not the disks that are failing. It is selecting the proper SATA driver.
In my case, both sata_sil and sata_nv fail with a double free error.

> Is the installation path on the same disk as the one your trying to
> install it on?
I never get to that stage. Besides, this has never been a problem in the past.
I always do hard drive installs when installing FC. I am still at the
ncurses stage before X starts.

> Does DVD install or NFS/FTP/HTTP/PXE ( Network ) install work?
The one machine holds all the drives so NFS/FTP/HTTP/PXE do not come into play.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.